Thursday, February 2, 2012

My thoughts on using pictures for portraits

I don't like doing portraits from pictures. Not that they offer any technical difficulty. Also, not to mention the various copyright issues most of my peers don't seem to think about... It just feels too much like an unrequited trust exercise. The artist has to "get to know" the subject. Usually with an assortment of pictures in different angles. Then the artist puts a lot of their energy into their piece. With every stroke the artist feels a ghost of what it -might- be like to know the person. The end result is a bitter sweet experience.

I understand that for an oil painting time and schedule are a major issue. Having a picture helps the commisioner out a lot. I would say the artist should use the picture up until the later parts of the painting and then have a sitting. But that's me. I'm done rambling for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment